Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Year of Personal Growth

"You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change"
Happy New Year!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am welcoming the new year with open arms. Goodbye 2011, hello 2012. I'm calling last year the year of Change and this year is the year of Personal Growth. I did have a friend say that just because it's a new year, doesn't mean anything is really different, but I disagree. It's not like I have a clean slate, but I am starting this year differently then last year. For once I'm not unsure about my relationship (which feels so good!!!!). This time last year, I was going into the steam room at the gym and sobbing every night, because I was so lost and confused. I feel like a different person, and I'm ready to move forward and become an even better me.

I went through many changes last year. I overcame a divorce. Honestly, I slowly spiraled out of control until my car accident 4 months ago, but now I feel like I'm at least headed in the right direction, with a lip piercing, a prisoner boyfriend and a new tattoo. Nothing has ever sounded so normal to me. Ha! I'm smiling as I write this, because the best thing about my story, is it's MY STORY, no one else's. You can't make this stuff up!

So. My plans for 2012? First and foremost. I've been reading a book called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, and she's given me some ideas on my own "happiness project". I've been struggling with my personal happiness, because it's never consistent, besides somewhat following the weather, and I don't like that. So this year I'm trying to set some personal goals that will make me happier. I have lists and lists of goals, and I'm hoping my blog will help me keep myself on path and somewhat organized. Let's see what I've got here. You're probably going to think that I'm completely out of control, but that's okay. This is how I do things. A little differently, somewhat over the top, and never quietly. I want you to be my witnesses to the transformation I am about to make.

I'm warning you, the first blog of the year might be a little all over the place.... Of course I have hand written notes, notes on my ipad and my phone, so bare with me :) I may even add to my list as the year goes..... For me there is nothing more gratifying than crossing something I've accomplished off of a list.

I think what I am going to do is break this down into the actual goals, and then follow up with placing them into individual monthly goals, to make it not seem so overwhelming... I'm going to use January to get myself in order.

Personal Goals:

1.Blog weekly I think I can do this. I'm going to personally promise a new post by Wednesday of each week. If you don't follow my blog, I always post a link on Facebook when I've finished the blog. Sound good? I know allot of people care about what I'm doing. :) That's sarcasm baby.

2.Cook more Sounds simple, right? Not really. Especially when you live 20 minutes from the nearest grocery store. I need to plan things out if I want to cook. I love to cook! AND to make it even better, I was surprised with a new Kitchen Aide mixer from my parents for Christmas, so it's like God is TELLING ME TO BAKE.

3.Make more art One of my passions. I did go to Art School for a reason, right? I've been trying to figure out what it is that makes me happy, and I really do miss drawing. I'm going to look into taking a few art classes this year and see where that takes me.

4.Do something that scares me everyday This will be hard for me. I honestly need to start a list of things that scare me. One of my biggest fears is calling a stranger on the phone. I KNOW! Sounds completely insane. I'm even having a hard time calling the internet people. What's wrong with me? Nothing. It's just a thing I have and I'm working on it :)

5.Take more pictures and work on developing my photography business One of my passions has always been photography, but I've never felt like I was good enough to swim with the "big fish", so I've never tried very hard. Well that's over this year. I can't say I'm a huge fan of photographing people, but that's what sells, so we will see where I go with this. I plan on taking my camera with me everywhere. I use to do that, but I stopped. You never know when you are going to capture a moment. Hopefully, if everything goes well, this will be a way to make a little extra money while also doing something I love. It's very gratifying when someone has a positive reaction to your photos. I've found myself very jealous of friends who have followed this dream to be a photographer, it's my turn and it's okay to be scared. Thank you to all of my friends who have pushed me towards this dream of mine. You know who you are.

6.Accomplish SOMETHING everyday Sounds easy, right? I love love love wasting time and not accomplishing anything in a day. No, I'm not distracted because I'm smoking pot and staring at the wall or playing video games. Undiagnosed ADHD? Maybe, but I do know, when I finish something I set out to do, I feel pretty happy about it. Another list?

7.Yoga and Meditation I have a hard time quieting my mind. I'm really good at half-assing both my Yoga and meditation practices, so this will take some time for me. I need to MAKE time for this. I'm planning on working on my meditation around the time I go to bed, because I've found that it helps me fall asleep. It's okay to do this! I swear it's not cheating, just killing two birds with one stone, in the hopes that I will wake up feeling refreshed with a clear mind. Doesn't that sound amazing!? YES!!!

8.Get certified to be a cycling instructor I think I might really enjoy this. I also have a reasonably flexible schedule, so why not? Definitely something that can go on my "things I'm scared to do" list. What's the worst that could happen?

9.Quit drinking so much coffee!!!! I know. This one sounds silly, but I rely on it to start my day. I also think I need caffeine in the afternoon, which leads to me not being able to sleep..... I see a pattern here.... Do you?

Well those are the notes from my phone. Let's see what else I have :)

10.Compete in one race a month, including ONE marathon I'm giving myself January off, but I think I'm doing two races in May. This is what I have planned so far:

February - Snow Joke Half Marathon

March - St. Patty's Day 5k

April - Grizzly Triathlon (if I can sign up before it fills up!)

May - River Bank Run Trifecta & Bloomsday

June - hmmmmmmmm

July - Missoula Half Marathon

August - Seeley Lake Tri

September -

October - Diva Run & Blue Mountain 30k

November -Training for Marathon?

December - I'm going to try and do the Vegas Full Marathon

11.Figure out how to patent and sell an idea Uh, yeah, my sister and I invented something. It's awesome. That's all I'm going to say. I don't want you stealing my ideas!

12.Start writing a book Can you become a published author without any schooling? Well, I'm about to find out. :)

13.Pay off my debts I'm not ready to fully admit to how much debt I am in, but WHEN it's paid off, hopefully by the end of the year (if not sooner) I will be able to afford a nice car payment. I'm determined to do this on my own. I did this :) I played a little to hard last year. Oh well.

I think that's enough for one year. No? Now. I guess the question is how to break it down? hmmmmmmm. I think that's for the next blog. Yep. Sounds about right.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to copy this whole post. Tack it to my wall- and try to do it too. PLUS- I am going to try to be a nicer, more understanding person. Maybe I will start that by taking you under my wing. I will accept you as my one and only photo student. I will be your mentor. If you want. Ask away.
    I'd be up for doing all those runs with you. Except the Vegas Marathon. That sounds unbearable. I guess it is in December. I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete