Friday, July 1, 2011

Almost to Phoenix!

Really? Am I this lucky?
Second flight. AGAIN with and exit aisle seat, with the option of window. This is nice. I hope they always screw up my flights. I need to send the United girl, Kristin, flowers. No really. I might.
I'm pretty sure i'm flying over the Grand Canyon. It's smokey out though, so its hard to see. At least it looks like smoke. I'm assuming it's smoke. I should ask the fire fighter sitting behind me. I had a great time eavesdropping on the conversation happening behind me before the flight took off. There is a very loud talking woman, which I can only assume that's what I talk like, and she started asking the fire fighter guy about his life, hence, how I found out he fights fire. I kid you not, their whole conversation, which lasted for at least ten minutes before take-off, was fire related. She kept telling him stories that were fire related. Her neighbor, back in MIssissippi, who happened to be a fire marshal, started his fence on fire three times by accident. She woke up hungover, after New Years, to what she thought was the sound of hail, only to find out that it was huge flaming embers hitting the roof of her house from the fence. Her eight year old got charged with arson for soaking towels in gasoline, wrapping it around a stick, lighting it on fire and running around with it. I guess he said he was making a "torch" and him and his friend were just playing. Well, they knocked over the can of gasoline and her son managed to catch his pants on fire. He took his pants off and put the fire out. I guess by the time that happened, the police had arrived. He was sentenced to mandatory fire safety classes for two months. Nice.
I love listening in on other peoples conversations. Watch out!
I had a pilot sitting across the aisle from me for a little while, unfortunately for me (he was my entertainment) he got special treatment and was moved up to first class. He tried to refuse, but the flight attendant finally talked him into moving. When I first sat down he asked, "so what brings you to Tucson?" Funny guy. I'm headed to Phoenix. The funniest part is that my flights are already way different then originally planned, so the thought had crossed my mind, 'what if I get on the wrong plane somehow???'
I really think my life is more interesting when I'm away from home. The weirdest shit happens. I love it. Oh, there was a reason I decided to blog, for the second time tonight. I found something I wanted to share, from, of all things, Sky magazine (the airline provides these to read...)
"Making money isn't what makes for living," says Jonathan, a server at a Parisian cafe, when asked about the French ethic. "How much can you enjoy bits of paper?" That just about sums up the allure of Paris: the belief here that happiness consists of something intangible and fleeting. That success can't be measured. That your experiences matter above all else. That freedom to feel puts us in touch with something human, essential. And perhaps it explains why, for centuries, in art as in life, Paris has been the place to go to get away, to start over, to find emotion and inspiration, to think and create, to re-imagine oneself. At the very least, Paris gives charm to life's daily grind. At its extreme, the city changes you. --Misha Pinkhasov
I might move to Paris. Someday.
K

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kristal,
    Thank you for quoting the article! I am very glad you enjoyed it.
    Warm regards,
    Misha

    ReplyDelete